Re: Ecovillages as a solution to urban growth problems
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 22:26:37 -0500
nicka [at] well.com

Hi Kevin -

What you have to say makes much sense and in fact it is not
particularly unique.  New England as I remember it from decades ago has
grown gradually for centuries by retaining village centers.  I think the
reason is that the land was broken up into small pieces very early on so that
developers have only rarely been able to obtain multi-hundred-acre tracts for
instant transformation.

We same to have an annexation-for-growth pattern in California, but
annexation to hold the line is probably Davis's answer if feasible.  I
wonder if it wouldn't change the city's politics much for the worse,
though.  As soon as people got serious about your idea, the corrupters
might jump into Davis in a big way.

Whatever you can do to keep Davis from becoming a San Francisco suburb
will do all of Northern California a major favor.  We have to remember,
though, that there are no magic formulae for survival in a world in which
human population tries to be limitless.  That is an overwhelming problem,
but we cannot ignore it (not that you are) merely because of that.  It will
destroy Davis, it will destroy the rain forests, it will destroy health care
systems, it will destroy climate stability, in short order it will destroy
everything we value.  So in Davis and everywhere else we need to ask what
to do about the booming population - not so much how to manage its
warehousing, as how to control the numbers.