Cohousing -- a tool or an environment?
From: Michael Mariner (mykanofone.net)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:54:14 -0500
Raines Cohen said:

>If we think of cohousing as a lever, we can use it to amplify the power
>of other things we're trying to do, whether that is to save open space,
>change land-use attitudes, revitalize urban areas, or open minds.
>Different people will use this tool for different goals, sometimes in
>opposition to one another.

Long-time list members will probably remember that I'm one of the more
flagrant idealists who believes that cohesive neighborhoods can become
the building blocks of a new society -- one that is accountable,
cooperative, supportive and a lot kinder an gentler than what we have
now.  That's over several generations -- not tomorrow or the next day.
That evolution is what I'm writing my book about.

I feel Raines' description of cohousing as a "tool" is inadequate because
a cohousing community is an entire environment where many things can and
do happen.  If we look at only one or two effects a coho community has,
then we might think of it as a lever or a hammer or something.  But so
much more is going on in the wide variety of personal interactions that
happen everyday. And, many of us foresee this as only the beginning --
that society can be decentralized  down to the neighborhood level.  Think
of a time when cohousing-like neigborhoods become the rule rather than
the exception!  Associations or networks of neighborhoods could make the
precinct a meaningful level of government, education and economics.

Mike Mariner

San Juan Cohousing near Durango, CO, where we're looking for a few more
good folks.  Check us out at http://www.rmi.net/~ganesh

                      KEY COMMUNITY RESOURCES:

                     Cohousing:  http://www.cohousing.org/
                   Ecovillages:  http://www.gaia.org/