RE: On being too close for comfort
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 00:33:31 -0500
Cohousing uses a group collarborative process, and to succeed requires a great
deal of group cohesion and trust amoung the members of the group. In my
experience, if you do not build this trust and cohesion, your group will not
succeed. There comes a point where people will have to put up thousands and
thousands of dollars of totally at risk money. In the groups that fail,
sometimes it is because they have no faith or trust in each other, or not
enough to risk huge amounts of capital. The group typically then dissolves.
This has occured dozens and dozens of times, all across America. Basically as
soon as a site is found, and the project is about to move from the
intellectual discussion stage to the practical stage,  the group falls apart
from lack of capital.

There are at least twice as many failed groups as successful groups. In my
neck of the woods, the ratio is three to one. For every built cohousing
project, there are 3 dissolved groups. Groups fail for many reasons, but a
very common one is lack of commitment and trust. I have personally watched
local groups fall apart because of poor meetings, bad dynamics, and
unrealistic expectations. A woman I know who could have personally bought a
particular site herself, left a local group because she did not feel any sense
of community amoung the participants.

You need excellent interpersonal communication skills, outstanding listening
skills, and also need to understand yourself, other people, and group
dynamics. Sound complex? Yep.  Nobody teaches Americans how to collaborate in
a group. Most groups that last more than a year either get a member who is
savy, or they find some training. You don't get far without a pretty good
ability to make decisions with integrity. If you bulldoze people, they usually
just leave, and when that happens over and over again, eventually there is no
one left.

If you have no one in your group to shephard peoples feelings, and all you do
is business meetings, your chances of successfully getting a project build are
low. Business meetings do not build trust in and of themselves. You need
something more. Something deeper to build bonds between people and to the
community vision.

So decide what you want and why you want to be living in an intentional
community and then look at what it will take for a group to pull that off. You
might examine some successful communities and find out about their
celebrations, rituals and how they build relationships. You might come to the
same conclusions I have. Or then again, maybe not. There are folks who claim
that any old developer, if given the right architecture can create a vibrant
community. I personally don't beleive this at all, but thats my bias.
Community is delibrate and intentional, otherwise its fake window dressing,
something to fool the masses who don't know any better.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood