Re: Too close for comfort...maybe
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 02:57:00 -0500
>My questions for the group is this....is living in cohousing like being in an
encounter group forever? Do most groups hold hands and sing, etc?? I feel
strange asking this but are there some groups that are less "new-agey" and
more mainstream?

Yes. There is lot of variation.
One of the differences between living in cohousing and being on a retreat
with a group, is that you probably had little or no privacy at the retreat,
while you can have as much as you want when you live in cohousing (though
you are likely to need/want less than you think once you are there.  Also,
if you get involved with the group, you can speak up and let others know
that this is not your style (or however you feel) and in all likelihood
your opinion will be respected. There may be others in the group that share
your discomfort and even if there aren't, you can gradually find a way to
live quite comfortably with neighbors who have a different idea of what is
fun or inspiring or interesting than you do.

Joani Blank
Doyle St/Old Oakland