urban cohousing
From: cynthia . e . carpenter (cynthia.e.carpenterus.arthurandersen.com)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:10:06 -0500
Matt Lawrence listed urban cohousing:

>Doyle Street - Emeryville, CA
>Southside Park - Saacramento, CA
>N Street CoHousing  - Davis, CA
>Marsh Commens - Arcata, CA
>Monterey CoHousing - Minneapolis, MN
Don't forget us!  Cambridge Cohousing, in Cambridge, MA.  We have 41 units
on 1 1/2 acres, which seems incredibly dense in comparison to other
projects, though our site was zoned for 53 units when we bought it.

I wouldn't say that we're revitalizing a neighborhood by building here.
The neighborhood is already quite vital, in my eyes, but I'm fairly sure
we'll have a "better" impact on the area than another straight development,
which almost definitely would have come in if we hadn't.

Also, in response to a couple of other related threads:
We have two low-income units.  Both were purchased by our local housing
authority, though we subsidized them to the tune of about $30-40K (I've
forgotten the exact numbers at this point).  As someone who's really
struggled to afford a market-rate unit, it does feel quite significant that
we increased our own units' prices to be able to include these units, even
though the ratio of low-income to market housing is low.

We have more diversity in size and price of dwelling than what  Rob
Sandelin described (about $90 to $350k, for studios to large 3 bedroom
townhouses), but the small, less expensive units are really only suitable
for singles or couples, so the diversity isn't as great as one might hope.

- Cindy
Cambridge Cohousing,
where we're about halfway moved in, with the rest to follow over the next
couple of months

There are others listed as "low-income housing", but I don't know how
many of them are in an urban setting.  There are  also quite a few listed
that I have absolutely no idea whether or not they aree in an urban
setting.  Can anyone expand upon this list?