Urban ICs discussion list, How to join
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 04:08:52 -0500
This is really a re-posting of Mike Mariner's message from yesterday.
   SEE HIS MESSAGE BELOW
I wanted to give it a better subject line (prime "real estate" should
be used to maximum advantage).  Also I thought I'd say a few words about
the "seperate list" issue.  There are advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages include potentially a more focused discussion with fewer
tangentially related messages cluttering up the mailbox of those who
subscribe to the smaller focused discussion only. Disadvantages include
missing the insights of those who only subscribe to the larger discussion
(which may or may not be particularly valuable).  At this time about
half of the UrbanICs subscribers also subscribe to Cohousing-L.

In a way this is an experiment, I hope we can have some minimal posting of
summary information about relevant discussions on the other list. Both
discussions have web browsable archives to facilitate catching up on
posting of interest on a list one does not subscribe to.

Note that lists of a limited geographic interest are a different matter.

Fred Olson list manager of Cohousing-L and
           co-manager (with Mike Mariner) of UrbanICs

Cohousing-L  See www.cohousing.org        and      nbhd-tc  the
Twin Cities Neighborhood issues list. See www.freenet.msp.mn.us

--- Mike's post follows ---

Jim Nordgaard said:

>So I would urge anyone in the process of starting a new cohousing
>community to STRONGLY consider retrofit, or combination retrofit and
>new construction, especially if you are concerned with a having a
>income diversified community, one not contributing to urban sprawl,
>and one whose members have a strong common bond to the community (the
>physical part, and well as social), from the beginning.

For those of you taking Jim's advice seriously and who want to have email
discussions by people already living in urban cohousing (and other kinds
of intentional communities) or who are trying to get their neighborhoods
to become more cohesive consider subscribing to our email list, called
Urban-ICs.

Here's how:

To subscribe to URBANICS, send listproc [at] csf.colorado.edu the request

        SUBSCRIBE URBANICS <FIRSTNAME> <LASTNAME>

If your name is John Doe, please substitute
          John Doe    for   <Firstname> <Lastname>

so the command would look like

SUBSCRIBE URBANICS John Doe

Mike Mariner/Mykano

San Juan Cohousing, near Durango, CO, where we're looking for a few more
folks to join us on 240 acres of beautiful land. Check us out at:

http://shell.rmi.net/~ganesh/ or email Mac Thomson at ganesh [at] rmi.net
The future is sustainable, cooperative communities - find/build one.

               ++++++ KEY ONLINE COMMUNITY RESOURCES +++++

                     Cohousing:  www.cohousing.org/
                   Ecovillages:  www.gaia.org/
       Intentional Communities:  www.ic.org/