RE: Oh no, it's that Kitchen topic again!
From: [name and address withheld] ([name and address withheld])
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:09:41 -0500
        I spent several years in a group of 80-100 who ate 3 meals a day 7
days a week together.  Everyone worked 4 hours a week, and that accomplished
all the food buying, cooking, and cleaning up.  It was a full job (i.e. 4
hours/week) to buy the food for the 21 meals.  Buying in bulk I think
reduced the price from what you would pay at the supermarket by 30-50%.  We
had three people who spent two hours per week planning menus.  It took three
people 2 1/2 hours to cook dinner, two people I think two hours to cook
lunch, and one person 1-2 hours to cook breakfast.  We had seven to eight
people on a dinner clean up crew and the dining room and kitchen was usually
clean in 30-45 minutes.  We also had three "waiters" for dinners to set the
tables, bring the food out, and then bus the dishes in afterwards.  In
addition to the dinner cooks we had people come in for an hour or two in the
early afternoon to chop veggies, we had a bread baker who baked dozens of
loaves of fresh bread twice a week, we had dessert makers who made sweets
twice a week, and we had three teams of granola makers who made granola for
breakfasts and late night snacking.  This set up also managed to cook food
for the vegetarians and a few people with food allergies.  I think your
friend is completely off base in his time estimates.

Mimi
(Solterra, Durham, North Carolina)