Oh, no! (Ceilings Div)
From: Paul Kilduff (LibertyPaulMarywebtv.net)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:56:03 -0500
It's that ceiling thing again!

The last time I asked this list about common dining room ceilings, I
asked people to comment on their ceiling heights and whether they wished
they were higher or lower.  The general feel of the responses was in
favor of intimacy and away from grandeur, but I believe a summary of the
results would be:  "High ceilings look good, but sound terrible."

I'd like to refer to two-story ceilings and one-story ceilings in this
message, because I think that's the basic decision we future Liberty
Villagers have to make as we decide whether to stay with our tentative
C-H design, with its two-story ceiling.  And, although we refer to a
dining room, we want to design a room that will serve as a dance hall
and all-purpose great room as well.

The responses have left many of us with the impression that two-story
dining rooms are better than one-story ones, but that existing two-story
dining rooms either have not been well-designed, or else acoustically
smart designs by architects have been compromised by cost-conscious
builders: the problem is acoustic only.  One-story dining rooms are
compared to high school cafeterias and church basements.  And what about
dances and such?

Do you have a one-story dining room?  How well does it work?  How high
is your ceiling?  IF YOU COULD HAVE A TWO-STORY DINING ROOM, WITH STATE
OF THE ART ACOUSTICS, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST, WOULD YOU TAKE IT?

Paul Kilduff
Liberty Village, Maryland
..