Re: Oh, no! (Ceilings Div)
From: Elana Kann (elanakannmindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:20:27 -0500
At Westwood community we used Tectum for the 2-story ceiling/roof of our
entire common house, over a post-and-beam support system. In the
dining/dance room this makes a fairly high steep cathedral ceiling. It is
spacious, gracious, beautiful, and provides sound absorption that makes it
possible to carry on conversations even with a lot of people in the room.
It has been a huge success.

Tectum is a panel product with woven threads of wood as the inside layer
for sound absorption, several inches of foam in the middle for insulation,
and sheathing on the outside layer to receive roof shingles. It is
basically a stress skin panel over post-and-beam construction. The
combination of the beams showing and the woven wood texture of the ceiling
is delightful. And as an additional bonus, there is virtually no air
leakage through the roof.

--Elana Kann
Westwood CoHousing Community
Asheville, NC