Re: Some membership questions
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:35:19 -0500
In addressing how we deal with members leaving and arriving at RoseWind,
I realize I could also say what we did prior to buying our lots.

We were an entity for some years before the accomplishment of our Planned
Unit Development process with the City created RoseWind lots as legal
entities which could be bought. At that point we had an Associate
Membership category which one joined with a payment of $10,000 or more,
which then was equity on the eventual lot purchase. The contract spelled
out that if you changed your mind and wanted out, your money could only
be refunded once a replacement person joined. This was necessary as we
might have already spent the money on land purchase, for instance. In one
case an associate member had to leave because of a health crisis. We
refunded their money as soon as we had it, even when a replacement member
had not joined, out of compassion for their circumstances.

Once our lots became official, we paid up to our purchase price and
became legal owners of our respective lots. Then, if someone wanted to
join, but wasn't completely sure, we had a "courtesy hold" arrangement
whereby a person could reserve "dibs" on a particular lot. If and when
someone else was wanting to buy that lot, the courtesy hold person had a
certain notice -- I forget exactly how much, but something like two
weeks, I'd guess--- in which they could pay in full and get that lot, or
cede their rights to that lot. Mostly people just bought in when they
were ready.

Lynn Nadeau at RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend
where we are gathering families for our last few lots, in the hope of
making a combination of single and duplex homes as affordable as we
can--- if you've been lurking about joining, this is the perfect time to
come forth!