RE: Some membership questions
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:26:18 -0500
There are two separate peices to membership:

One, what the law allows and two, what you want. My opinion is that you can
pretty safely do a lot of wiggling about how you present your community before
you would ever get into trouble.

People who routinely drive 80 MPH in 55 MPH zones argue that we can do nothing
about screening members because its against the law. These same people break
the law every time they drive... I agree with Bard, the law is often an idiot.
There are lots of ways to screen in the right people.

I have not yet heard about any cohousing groups ever getting in trouble by
having informal conditions on sale of future or existing units, or selectively
advertising or marketing. Of course, maybe lots have and I just haven't ever
heard about it, but I get around so if it was a common problem I think I
would've heard about it by now. The law is only an issue if somebody feels
they have been wronged, or unfairly treated, and there are very easy and
effective ways, based on what you tell people, and what you emphasize, to key
on the important skills and characteristics you are looking for.

I think its really a good idea to carefully screen new members, at any stage.
You can screen them by what you tell them on a tour and how you emphasize
certain things like community expectations, dinners, socialiable climate,
swapping childcare, sharing personal tools, co-ownership of common elements,
collaboration, etc.

I went on a cohousing tour once where the tour giver specificially mentioned
that living here required good collaboration skills, then she specifically
asked me what my experiences were in working with  groups using consensus!

There are a number of attitudes and skills that are helpful to be a sucessful
community participant, and more you can screen people out that do not have
those attitudes the better your group will work together.

How you give a tour can do a lot to screen in the right people, brochures and
other handouts also can do this as well. It is so much easier to screen in the
right people than to deal with trying to remove the wrong people later.

I once facilitated a meeting where a person was asked to leave. I had several
of the more involved members meet privately to brainstorm up a list of skills
and attitudes that members needed to be sucessful and happy in the community.
We then presented this list to the unhappy member, noted how unhappy she was,
noted how her unhappiness was causing other unhappiness in the group. She then
broke down, more or less confessed her problems, saw that she was too
dysfunctional to be part of the group, and she agreed to leave.

I would not wish that sort of meeting on anybody. So pick your members with at
least some clue about what makes a successful group member so you don't ever
get into that place. Also, to buck the popular opinion, just because somebody
owns a house does not mean you can't ask them to leave. You just can't force
them out directly. Of course, its better to work on the issues, but sometimes
there are people who are just not good neighbors. They lie, they cheat, they
may be seriously emotionally dysfunctional. In the extreme cases, the group
really needs to work together and stay healthy in the presence of bad
relationship. This requires committed work, and the sad thing is, too many
groups avoid it, and ignore the problem. Often this ends up with really
excellent members leaving because they won't tolerate the dysfunctional
people.

If you want to keep members, and make them feel committed, have a celebration
in honor of their joining. It can be simple, or elaborate. If people who made
commitment leave, honor their work with a ceremony. It will help in the
healing to have everyone be a part of saying goodbye. This does not have to be
sad and mopy. One of the best parties we had lately was when a very much loved
neighbor moved on.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing