RE: Pool table consensus
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:20:50 -0500
Thanks for describing your process, it sounds like you function really well. I
apologize for the tone of my comments, I had just returned from working with a
very dysfunctional group and that left me with some energy left over that
ended up in that post. I particularily did not mean to insinuate that your
group was anything other than wonderful, but the example was a good one where
in my opinion, large group time was not needed. (it was also exactly the kind
of problem the group I had been working with had so it really rang my bell)

As you pointed out, there were other reasons to use large group time for this
decision (bring in new people into the process) and so it made good sense to
do so. This shows you have some savvy facilitators.

Many groups discover that its more effective to let the "what do we plant in
the garden" type of decisions get made by the gardeners. When the whole group
gets involved, most peoples time is wasted because they don't care a hoot
about the garden, while the gardners really do. So in a group meeting of 20
adults, 3 are involved, 17 are just sitting bored wishing they were elsewhere.

If this happens a lot, eventually people just stop coming to meetings. Much
easier to break out decisions by letting those most interested decide to come.
The decision board process works great for this kind of decentralization.

Rob Sandelin