Re: PARKING SPACES
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsghotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:25:20 -0500

New View (Acton MA) is placed in a  car-oriented suburb. We were
required to provide 2 car slots per household for our 24 households,
between garages, drive up parking, and parking lot parking. That left a
handful of spots in parking lots for visitors and a handicapped
accessibility space.

In theory this was going to be very tight. In practice it has generally
been plenty. Two caveats/details:

1) We never painted in the parking space lines and numbers shown on our
plan. Generally, it looks like people are parking tighter than they
would if there were lines, so we end up with more space. I don't know if
this will hold up over time, but it is one  side effect of
procrastination. As far as I now there is no active plan for getting the
lotlines in. Every so often, neighbors actively communicate with each
other if their parking expectations are not being met (e.g." we were
assignd a spot close to the edge of the parking lot so our long walk
would be more reasonable, but someone else keeps grabbing our spot") I
think this communication has been effective, but I am not sure. I am
sure our conversations about parking are not over..

2) The kids in the community are heavily clumped in age. When they hit
the range between driving license age & high school graduation in large
numbers there may well be a big squeeze on parking spaces.

-Jim
---
jimsg [at] hotmail.com
Jim Snyder-Grant
(please excuse mandatory ad appended by my email provider)