Re: Common House Laundry
From: MelaSilva (MelaSilvaaol.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:28:31 -0500
Main floor sure gets my vote. Maybe none of you have considered your aging
knees. Carrying a load of laundry downstairs, then going up the stairs to go
home. Then going downstairs to put it in the dryer or if there wasn't washing
space available, to put it in the washer, then going up the stairs to go home.
THEN going downstairs to put in the in the dryer, or to push the button for
another 15 minutes because the jeans arent' quite dry, or to carry it up to
hang on the clothesline.  WHEW!

I live up 17 stairs (a one bedroom home over parking), and I am a massage
therapist, so I do laundry every day.Our laundry room is off the main porch by
the mailboxes, off  the main hallway where we can read all the posted stuff
and  20 feet from the kids room so that toddlers can play while someone is
folding laundry. When I am in the sitting room, I can hear the washers, so I
always close the door to the laundry room when I enter the Common House.We
only have 3 washers and 3 dryers, so the noise is not a bid deal at all. Half
of our families have washers/dryers in their own homes and it is quite
noticable that those of us who use the common laundry room know more about
each others daily lives, what is going on, etc, due to easy interaction.

Our clotheslines are just about 30 feet from the laundry room, by a bike shed,
landscape shed and gardens. This also really enhances casual interaction.

You know, it ain't easy living with a bunch of other folks. Peoples feelings
get hurt, little things can grow. Every little daily interaction really REALLY
helps people get over their little hurts and see their neighbors for the
regular everyday flawed but loveable folks they really are. I never though of
putting the laundry in the basement - because we don't have basements - but I
don't think it is a good idea.

Pam Silva
Southside Park
Sacramento CA