I'm frustrated
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:41:20 -0500
I'm really frustrated right now and, well, y'all get to listen to a bit of
it.

To me, Cohousing isn't about how cheaply I can live, it's about how well
can I live.

I had high hopes for a local cohousing group, but tonight they made a
decision that I can't see an effective way to make work.  There's a family
of four who said they would join if they could have a house for $80K.
Well, to get the cost down to that level (they are looking at a 4
bedroom), a lot of corners will have to be cut.  The building materials
will have to be cheap, the insulation will have to be reduced, the
appliances will need to be less efficient and the common house will have
to be scaled way back (assuming everybody pays an equal proportion).
Forget about a nice swimming pool, a good workshop, a stable for horses
(somebody wants a horse) and a number of other amenities.

With that kind of target for a 4 bedroom house, I (as a single person)
would be looking at a cost of less than $70K for a smaller house for
myself.  Why?  My current house is appraised at over $130K and I could
easily afford over $200K.  I WANT to spend the extra money that a very
energy efficient house will cost.  I WANT to spend the money that a
WONDERFUL common house will cost.  I insist on spending the money for a
really good workshop.  I really like the idea of an Olympic size swimming
pool.  I don't think it's going to happen with this group.  Sigh.

I really want to live in cohousing, but, so far, I'm striking out.

At the cohousing workshop here in Austin, I asked Chuck Durrett "What do I
have to give up to live in cohousing".  He didn't really have a good
answer, his passions are different from mine.

Please let me know your thoughts.

-- Matt