Re: I'm frustrated- diverse finances
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:57:38 -0500
Hi -

In the work I do at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, my
observation is that most mixed income developments are accomplished by
subsidizing some units, which are then designated "affordable" for some period
of time.  Depending on the design of the community, subsidized units may or
may not be scaled down from those in the rest of the neighborhood. Subsidies
take three main forms:  cash (grants or loans), land donation or write-down,
and sweat equity.  Sources of subsidy include members of your community,
community-based financial institutions, local foundations or nonprofit housing
intermediaries, local government housing or community development departments,
and state housing financing agencies.

If you give me your geographic location, I can send you a list of the
resources in your area that I'm aware of and you can pass the info through to
your group.  I also have some Web URLs you can ransack for more info.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eno Commons
Durham, NC
Where my family and I are about two weeks from becoming the first residents of
Eno Commons, but we won't be alone long!  10 other homes are underway and 5
more have construction contracts.  Check out our web site (www.hawk-
systems.com/web_pages/eno-commons/) for construction pictures. We still have 6
lots left.