RE: I'm frustrated/LCD
From: Rich Lobdill (richardlsilcom.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:21:05 -0500
Matt:

Many times I have tried (sometimes successfully) to bite my tongue when we have
focused on what I consider the financial 'Least Common Denominator' factor and
I can share in your frustration.  I think that living without amenities which
you could have if everyone in your group had the same financial strength that
you seem to have is one of the compromises of cohousing.

In our case, we have had some charter members with many years of effort (and
risk) come to the conclusion that as the prices continued their inevitable
rise, they were simply not going to be able to qualify to buy their house. We
solved that to some degree by building into our budget a fund for 'soft second'
mortgages (of course, building it into the budget means that the common costs
increase). This was only offered to those who had put some years of effort into
the project. The soft second actually is a reduction in purchase price of the
house and becomes a balloon loan which only gets paid back at the time in the
future when the borrower sells her/his house. The interest on the loan is
calculated by the difference in initial vs. subsequent selling price. So
someone could borrow $10K and if they sell there house in 5 years for 20% more
than they paid, the loan repayment would be $12K (paid to the homeowners
association).

It can certainly be looked at as a subsidy. In our case I feel it was a
win/win. People who made the project happen were still able to afford to live
there AND we could leave in some of the amenities (for instance we as a group
were very committed to leaving our well appointed  common house intact) which
make the whole place special.

Rich Lobdill
Founding Member
Tierra Nueva Cohousing.