children and expectations
From: barbara keppel (71612.340compuserve.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:59:32 -0500
We also had household noise rules which included indoor and
outdoor voices, running, and wrestling. A child who was above the
acceptable decibel level was handed her/his coat (Nebraska) and
sent outside. A repeater was sent to circle the house or block a
certain number of times. Since visiting kids were given the same
rules, most quieted down whenever they were at our house.

As long as it was safe, angry kids were asked to circle the block
with a stick, pounding on fence posts as they passed by. This
turned out to be quite effective in letting off steam and getting
ready to solve problems. Yup. My kids once invited me to circle
the block to calm down - and I did. -15F chills the steam
quickly.

BobBI Keppel
cohousing wannabe
Portland, ME