Using a group member professionally
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:29:01 -0500
Some people will put in enourmous amounts of hours as volunteers. When other
people get paid in the group it can cause feelings of resentment. Why should I
do all this work for free when so and so gets paid? If you choose to pay some
people in the group be "clear" about this with everyone. If you have
professionals in your group volunteering their time, be clear what their
boundaries are.

 I recall one story about a carpenter who was asked to do a bunch of
significant work as a volunteer. He declined, politely, and it caused a major
group reaction, with all kinds of unhappy exchanges that hurt. He was very
clear, the groups expectations were not. Fortunately for the group, he stayed
and they all learned how to be better about not projecting unrealistic
expectations on each other.

Resentment is nasty, toxic stuff when its left in darkness to simmer and
brood. It loses it toxicity when opened and examined and talked about.
Sometimes.

Always celebrate the work people do and never let any act of selfless
volunteerism go unnoticed or unappreciated. Cohousing is fueled on volunteer
energy, don't let the gas run out.

Rob Sandelin