Re: rocking our fireplace -- how to?
From: Sanda Everette (severetteed.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 01:54:16 -0500
I can't point you in a particular direction though may do some web
searching--but if I was building a fireplace with stones I certainly
would consider what is called a Russian fireplace or a masonry heater.
I first saw them when I visited a community on Vashon Island.  That is
one of the business in the community...installing these stoves and
selling kits for you to build them yourself.  They are beautiful, very
energy efficient, and not cheap. There is a good desciption of what a
masonry heater is at  http://mha-net.org/html/whats.htm, also look at
http://www.rumford.com/heater.html  There are many beautiful photographs
and examples.  One in particular that I loved, with river rock, was made
by a stone mason just north of you in Wyoming if I recall correctly.

--

Sanda and Brian Everette
San Mateo Cooperative Community

Toward a sustainable lifestyle:
grow some of your own food and/or know the gardener who is growing it.