Re: rocking our fireplace -- how to? (fwd)
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:06:40 -0500
Stephanie Weigel sweigel [at] lamar.colostate.edu /
aka   weigel [at] satawal.cvmbs.colostate.edu

Greetings!  We have gotten the go-ahead to use river rocks from our site
(currently being excavated) to exercise our sweat equity and build our
fireplace
face in the commmon house.  It was originally spec'ed with some fake rock
covering.  While we are looking forward to this bonding (mortaring?) community
experience, there is no one in the group with extensive masonry experience,
especially when it comes to using rocks for the fireplace.  The actual
construction event is a ways off, so I am writing to see if anyone has good
ideas for resources (books, people, videos) that might set us on the right
track
in the meantime, so we can maybe practice and know what to expect.  I am
thinking as an example of the Foxfire references that showed how to do all
sorts
of self-sufficiency projects.

Thanks for any leads!
Stephanie Weigel
River Rock Cohousing -- Near the Poudre River in Fort Collins, CO
(a few units left -- to be built starting with the Common House which should
begin in August -- contact me if you are interested)

sweigel [at] lamar.colostate.edu