Re: Closing Sales
From: lilbert (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:31:30 -0500
Dear Sharon,

This is of no help whatsoever, but I had to laugh when I read the part in
your post about "firm prices"!  I joined my community after building had
begun, and we didn't have "firm prices" until after we moved in!  We had
an extremely complicated situation here, where we couldn't buy our houses
when they were finished because we couldn't get mortgages(long story).
My point is that those prices will likely change, and you shouldn't try
to guarantee them, although a ballpark figure, naturally, is necessary.

 As I said, I wasn't in the group at the stage you're in, but I can tell
you what brought it to my attention. There was a newspaper article on it
and I went to see it.  I met one of the group when I was at the site, and
was invited to a meeting.  The meeting was a difficult one, where they
were making some tough decisions and were not happy with each other.  In
spite of that, they were extremely respectful to each other and the
meeting was run very well.  I was so impressed with their community that
I made my decision to join then and there.

People have to know you are there, and they have to like what they see.
Our group advertised in places where people open to the idea were likely
to see it, like the co-op supermarket newsletter, and the local
"alternative" newspaper.  They also got written up in the local
newspaper's real estate section a few times.  They set up booths at open
air markets, and used lots of word of mouth.  After you get people to
come to a meeting, they need to see that it is well run, with serious
people who get the job done. If you're not organized, nobody will want to
join.   You'll need well done informational pamphlets that show what it's
going to look like and tell about the group, and what cohousing is all
about.

You also have a resource we didn't, and that is the newly updated
cohousing site.  I'll bet there's more there about this topic.  Good Luck!

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
  • Closing Sales Sharon Villines, August 17 1998
    • Re: Closing Sales lilbert, August 17 1998