Waiting lists
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:25:39 -0500
At Doyle Street six years ago, we had three units unsold at the time the
first batch of us moved in (three out of 12). The last one didn't sell
until a year and a half.  This is partly because that early in the
cohousing movement almost none of the people interested in cohousing wanted
to live in an urban area with no green space. More important, however, was
the fact that our unit prices were set when the housing market was riding
high, and by the time it was built, the bottom had more or less dropped out
of the housing market in the Bay Area. So the prices seemed very high.

Construction costs and house prices have risen a lot in the last year and a
half, but fortunately so far no one has had to drop out of the Old Oakland
group because of these rising prices.

In Old Oakland, we have about five households on our waiting list all of
whom require a smaller and/less costly unit than the one largish one that
is not currently spoken for. (1170 square feet, about $245, 000, in case
anyone out there in coho-land is interested).

Joani Blank
Doyle Street and Old Oakland (Swan's Market) -- SF Bay Area