Don't delay common house
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:33:39 -0500
At RoseWind Cohousing, a lot-development model, for various apparently
unavoidable reasons, we have delayed our common house. We hope to get it
started next year, ten years after the group first started, 6 years after
we got the Planned Unit Development approved by the City, and at a point
when 12 of our 20 families already are in houses on site.

I don't recommend delaying the common house! I wish we had built it
before a single home went in. We have lost a lot of community-building
that would have happened there, and perhaps would not almost all have
built largish homes with guest rooms, laundries, etc. I also think we
would not still have half a dozen unsold lots if the common house were in.

I suggest you look at a phased common house as a compromise. Get a space
closed in. Let the furnishing, painting, etc happen as it becomes
possible. Probably a lot of furnishing can happen as people move and have
extras. Once people are in the middle of their own building and-or moving
projects, a lot of energy is taken up that is unavailable for common
house creation. Consider a common house that uses whatever level of
volunteer labor you have available-=--- stucco is a good example of an
expensive process that becomes inexpensive when you have it done as a big
work party. Ener-grid blocks? Straw bale? But get something in place if
you possibly can. It is important to form the habit of using the common
house, and not just tack it on later.

Lynn Nadeau
In Port Townsend WA, where we are happily enjoying that two more families
have completed and moved into on-site homes, and where a handsome
strawbale house is rapidly taking shape.
Common house committee is working with group-approved floor plans and
budget, ironing out the details prior to submitting for a building permit
by year-end. Weekly potluck picnics are well-attended, and include
cabbage, greens, apples, beans, cucumbers, and potatoes grown on our
commons.