RE: Waiting lists
From: lilbert (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 14:55:18 -0500
>The cheaper, one bedroom units seem to always
>go
>>first and be very desirable. Might be wise, when doing housing size planning
>>to think about this.
>
>It's also true that households with children tend to come into cohousing
>projects at the very end, particularly when the core group had few
>households with children, when the project is small, and especially when it
>is urban. The problem is not that we need more small units. That just gets
>us more single  adults. The problem is that new-construction cohousing is
>expensive, especially considering that young families (two-parent and
>single-parent) who are often not in a position to buy property at all, are
>just the folks who can most readily see the benefits of cohousing.

I'd like to add that we had a one-bedroom unit that was the last to sell.
 Our units that were next hardest to sell were the three-bedrooms, but
they filled up at the very end, when families could know exactly what the
price was, and there was less risk.  This is also an area where
affordabilty help from the city is invaluable. The last 3 three-bedroom
units all had second mortgages from the local redevelopment agency.  I
would also advise people to not be so square when thinking about filling
those units.  Could not a single buyer with lots of cash rent out rooms
to a family who can't afford their own unit yet?  It doesn't take lots of
money to be a valuable member of our community.  Try to include those
people anyway.  Lots of groups have had very creative living
arrangements; I know we are not the only ones.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park