FW: Unrelated People Buying a House
From: Sharon Villines (SharonVillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 07:28:24 -0500
This isn't a cohousing example, but my sister shared a house for many years
with a friend--they were single mothers with children. I think each had two.
Their principle for everything in the house was to have clear ownership so
they knew who got what when one of them moved on. One person owned the condo
and the other rented from her. One person bought the living room furniture
and the other bought the appliances. And so on.

The rent in this situation is favorable so the renter rents at below market
prices and the owners can afford to carry a mortgage more easily. Unless the
unit is built as a two family house or has a clear mother-in-law apartment
built in with a condominium\co-op structure, I doubt if any bank would make
two contracts.

Sharon Villines
Synergy Cohousing, Delray Beach, FL http://www.cohousing.net
Where we expect to begin site construction in December.  32 units from one
to four bedrooms in townhouses. Beautiful Key West style architecture using
sustainable materials that will last longer than most of us will. The
architectural renderings are up at the site--in color, along with floor
plans and a price list.