Re: Once You've Moved in, How DO You Manage Things?
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:45:24 -0500
As a lot-development model, we at RoseWind Cohousing didn't have quite
the switch in set up that you have, but we did go through various phases
of legal structure or lack of it prior to the final, and current,
Homeowners' Association. We are also a non-profit (""miscellaneous mutual
benefit") corporation in the State of Washington, for that matter.

At no time did our legal structure have much to do with our daily
affairs. Once a year we send in the required form to the state,
identifying our officers. Our "president" and "vice-president" have no
designated powers at all, except being among the designated signers of
checks and major legal documents. The secretary and treasurer are real
jobs. Then we have whatever our current array of committees and task
forces are: presently we have a Steering Committee, Facilitators Team,
Common House planning committee, Architectural Review, Finance (including
the treasurer and several others), Recruitment and Development, and
Landscape.

Our CC&Rs and Bylaws are "real" in that they contain rules that we abide
by. And we have various other policies, guidelines, and decisions we
agree on at meetings, over time.

Figure out what work needs to be done, and who will do it, and give the
groups names-- that's all. If there are jobs that are finite in duration
-- planning a retreat, working up a given document, etc, then you can
call it a Task Force, and have it disband when its purpose is
accomplished. You'll need to decide among yourselves if you want do
allocate certain leadership or coordination functions to a smaller
group--- most groups do this in some way, to form meeting agendas, keep
in touch with issues and how and if they are being addressed, etc. You
can always try out a given arrangement, and change or drop it if it
doesn't work. You can even adopt systems with a specific "sunset" date,
at which time you will re-affirm it, change or drop it.

It will all work out--- have faith and keep breathing!

Lynn Nadeau, Port Townsend WA