Re: Pre-Paid Legal Services
From: fertilezone (fertilezoneebox.oo.net)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 15:51:45 -0500
Pamela Leitch wrote:
> ..I am an attorney and .. I urge caution to folks who are
considering this (Pre-Paid Legal Service).
--------

I understand how you feel.  10 years ago private practitioners hated
HMO's for changing their world.  And now these pre-paid legal
plans are doing the same thing to the legal profession.

Only because others broadcast this subject, l'll cc: the list, and ad
that some lawyers may have good reason to resent these service
plans.

Never mind the co-housing groups with legal needs, or the HMO
style growth for these plans; there probably is a catch to giving
away full-legal service plans for peanuts.

Maybe people are doing more price shopping, and want faster,
better, and cheeper legal help.

To make matters worse,  -- William W. Falsgraf --  President of the
American bar Association,  had to go and say, "The ABA endorses
the concept of prepaid legal plans 100%!."

Then on Sep.29, last year, Fortune Magazine ranked Pre-Paid
Legal Services, Inc. the 29th fastest growing company on the US
stock exchange.

Go figure!

I checked my regional Better Business Bureau, and would
recommend  doing the same in your state, they use a name or
address to do the check over the phone, for free.

I personally believe these legal-plan providers make higher profits
when litigation becomes the catalyst for legal plan memberships.

Many services for pre-existing cases (occuring before membership)
are billed at 75% of the providers published rates.  So. if more work
is pre-existing cases, then less work is billed at the plan's normal
rate.

However, last year the company reportedly used it's ($12. - $25.
monthly) membership-fee revenue to pay-out over 30 Million to
provider firms.

Regards,

Roger Ruhle
I am now a customer service Associate for Pre-Paid Legal
Services, Inc.
http://web.oo.net/ppl/