FW: emergency vehicle access
From: Christopher L. Wood (c.l.woodnotesmail2.csuohio.edu)
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 18:23:11 -0500
Rich Lobdill <richardl [at] silcom.com> said:

        "Green roads in our case are made by first laying in a very solid
        road base then on top of that putting a sort of 'honeycomb' plastic
        lattice which is about 1.5" thick (high?). We fill in the lattice
        with soil and ultimately will plant it with grass or some such. It
        seems very simple and the fire department was convinced that it would
        hold the trucks.  I do not know the name of the product but could put
        you in touch with someone who does."
--

I have also heard of this done with cinder blocks turned on the side so
their holes

I can think of another advantage of a green road, and that's surface
runoff (or lack thereof). Hard pavement surfaces prevent rainwater from
soaking into the ground, which must then be
carried away by storm sewers. When the sewers get overloaded, the
surface runoff builds up and causes floods.  A green road would allow
more rainwater to soak into the ground.

--
Christopher L. Wood
Cleveland OH