Sidewalk Materials
From: Mac Thomson (ganeshrmi.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:19:17 -0500
We're working on deciding what type of material to build our sidewalks
out of.  There are basically 2 camps.  The hard surface folks prefer
concrete (colored or pavers) because it works better for wheeled things,
its durability, and its performance in snow and mud season.  The loose
surface folks prefer crusher fines (like fine gravel) because it's much
less environmentally damaging, blends in better with our rural
landscape, and costs about one-third less.

We will have a very rural community in the mountain southwest where we
get lots of sunshine, but also plenty of snow and some rain.  By very
rural I mean that the cluster will still be fairly small (24 homes on
about 3-4 acres), but we will have about 250 acres of open space (forest
and pasture).

What has been your expereince with your sidewalks?
What have you done that you think worked well?
What do you wish you would have done differently?

--
           Mac Thomson                   San Juan Cohousing
           ganesh [at] rmi.net                Durango, Colorado

"It takes two to speak the truth -- one to speak and another to hear."
                            - Henry David Thoreau