Good news to share
From: Unnat (ZENiinet.net.au)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:25:05 -0500
Hi everyone,
I'm busting with delight - our render colour quest has been
successful!

To briefly explain - Pinakarri Community's housing co-op (cohousing
style) is a joint venture of publically funded rental for people on
low-incomes (non-equity) and privately funded home ownership
(equity).  The funding of 'non-equity' part is administered by the
State Housing Authority and although funding conditions are for
maximising tenant involvement in design and management towards the
noble end of empowerment and self-determination etc, the bureaucrats
struggle with this concept.

Back to the colours.  We chose a bold palette - 4 yellow, 3
terracotta, 2 bluish green, 2 plum, 2 blue - we and the architect were
happy.  The State Housing folk suggested beige and brown. Our starting
positions stated, the negotiations began.  The past 6 weeks have seen
emails flying about, letters of support, advice from friendly
consultants, you know what it's like.  They moved to accepting the
'mustard' (our yellow) and terracotta, the green squeaked in. The plum
and blue were definately OUT.

We persisted.  Some of us have nonviolence direct action experience
(forest rescue work) and we were sent in to close the deal.  The State
Housing people left the site yesterday, looking rather bewildered and
obviously wondering how they came to support this outrageous colour
scheme.  This was a victory of principle and empowerment.  We have a
commitment to making sure that they get mucho kudos for their
boldness.

Can't wait to send you the pictures. Yeeehaaa!!!!

Warmest regards
Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia