Re: Assigned Parking?
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:12:59 -0500
We have had parking assigned since day one.  People chose their spots,
with some coordinating help.  If you do that, and I* strongly* suggest
that you do, make it clear that spaces are assigned to people, but not
"owned" by them.  We have one spot per house,2 visitor spots,  and the
rest have to park on the street.  I used to be the parking coordinator,
and some unreasonables get to thinking that their favorite spot is theirs
for life.  It will almost certainly be necessary to switch once in a
while.  Reasons here have included: disability, cars that can't fit in
some spots, new people, and rotating the covered and uncovered spots.
(This is what I call a "clothesline issue".  We argued over the placement
of the common clothesline for three weeks of meetings!  It is the inverse
relationship of importance  to time spent on an issue symdrome.  Somehow,
people choose some nitpicky thing to wrestle with when they feel out of
control on the big issues-like moving in to cohousing.)

Yes, discuss it now, but not specifics, just principles, like # of spaces
and whether they are accorded on household size or whatever.