Re: history
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:49:32 -0600
Rob wrote:

<It has been a decade now since the publishing of Cohousing: a contemporary
approach to housing ourselves, the book that launched the cohousing
movement.

I would like to encourage thinking about somebody encapsulating cohousing in
Americas history, the first projects, the struggles with neighbors,
banks,and planning departments, the rise of the Internet as an information
source, the starting of the journal, the network.

As time goes on, we will forget these things.

yes indeed, we will - I know I've repressed some.
I just did a survey (From: kathy at "alan_lachman [at] bc.sympatico.ca")
that includes some of those topics.  Seems like we should at least collect some
of the  projects.

Judy
-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
        (usually checked on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday)
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments               in a rehab Georgian building
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
possibly downsizing in the next ? 6mo/1 year? to a smaller coop apartment
and selling my 3 BR coop apartment  {This is *not* definite}

**PLEASE send moral support for downsizing! I mean thoughts, though good ideas
are also welcome.  my mantra is "do you love it, need it use it"
the problem is accumulation