Affordable Cohousing?
From: David C. Ergo (dcergosonic.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:13:50 -0600
One of the barriers that a lot of people have had to cohousing is cost. Too
many interested folks simply can't afford the thousands of dollars it takes
to buy into a community.

We want to offer an alternative. Windsor Cohousing in Sonoma County,
California, is working to build a market rate cohousing project on a 1.5
acre parcel alongside a local non-profit developer's affordable housing
community (3.5 acres) in Windsor. The Cohousing Company has been hired to
do the site design for both projects, and will create a plan that
integrates the two communities together as much as is practical.

We would like to go even further than this, and have cohousing extend into
the affordable community, so that a number of units in the affordable
community effectively function as a part of our cohousing community.
However, there are a number of legal, socio-economic and social issues that
we need to identify and resolve before the non-profit developer could
consider this. The idea, however, is still on the table.

To qualify for the affordable community, a household will have to earn 60%
or less than the area median income (the level changes depending on the
household's significant assets). This translates as follows:

                 Yearly Area       60% of Yearly
Family           Median            Area Median
Size             Income            Income

1                $38,000           $22,800
2                $43,450           $26,070
3                $48,850           $29,310
4                $54,300           $32,580
5                $58,650           $35,190
6                $63,000           $37,800

We need to know if there is any interest out there in helping us create a
combined market-rate and affordable cohousing community. Please e-mail or
call if you are interested, or know of someone who is interested, in either
the market-rate or affordable component of our communities. And please
forward this message to anyone else!

Thanks,

David

David C. Ergo