Re: Tables, and other Common House questions
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:50:05 -0600
We don't have a kids' table per se, but we have several different size
tables and one square one has become the table of choice for our preteen
girl gang.  Kids younger than that sitting by themselves is a disaster in
the making, and doesn't happen at our meals.  We do buffet style meals
mostly, because cleanup and prep are much longer with family style, not
to mention we always have special diet considerations, and those meals
would have to be brought individually to the tables.  We have one couple
who's team occasionally puts on a big feast and they serve family style,
but they're always cleaning up at 10:00.  I think family style would be
more advantageous for small groups, but large is too difficult.

Tables- the wheel every group must reinvent for themselves...as I said,
we have various sizes:  A few of the long rectangular kind, and here I
would echo Rob's excellent reasoning for getting them,  and various
tables that didn't fit in people's houses after we moved in.  I quite
like the different sizes, because you can sit at tables according to how
you feel like socializing.  The really big table is good for groups, like
sometimes a committee that needs to meet or a group that wants to discuss
a topic or has family visiting.  You can't beat the price of hand-me-down
tables either.  If your group needs to cut corners, you could always get
better tables later, but put in the important stuff right away, like the
best appliances or whatever's important to you.

Not to open a new can of worms, but here goes.  I think it's more
impoertant to have good chairs than matching tables.  We had hodgepodge
chairs when we moved in, and buying matching comfortable chairs that fit
close together was a great investment.  If there is any other use for
your dining room, you'll need to be able to stack or fold your tables and
chairs easily.

I think I'll shut up now.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing