Cobb Hill
From: Philip W. Bush (Philip.W.BushDartmouth.EDU)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:52:09 -0600
This is to introduce Cobb Hill - a cohousing community, research institute, and
organic farm -- all experiments in sustainable living being created in Hartland,
VT .  We own two adjoining former dairy farms, each 120-140 acres.  One has
barns and silos, 12 acres of prime farm land, high pastures with beautiful
views, and a large regenerating forest.  The other, more remote from the
village, has a house, barn, and outbuildings, another 10 acres of bottom land,
more pastures, a mature forest (including a 1000-maple sugarbush), and a small
stream and pond.

We have enough land for 20-22 housing units (tightly clustered) plus a common
house -- and for serious farming and forestry, not only to provision ourselves,
but also for some of us to make a living from the land.  So far, we have nine
member households, two more close to committing.

We have chosen a building site which is close to the Hartland Four Corners
village and low on a hillside, where water is abundant and soils are good.
Though we value privacy and will design for it, we also want to be part of the
larger community, open to people who want to work or visit with us.  We imagine
a farmstand, craft workshops, educational and recreational activities that will
enable us to participate in life with the local community.

The Sustainability Institute is a nonprofit think/do tank, organized by Donella
Meadows, devoted to analysis, planning, and communication that furthers
sustainable, equitable, and sufficient societies in all parts of the world.
For more information on the SI write to: Sustainability Institute, PO Box 174,
Hartland Four Corners, VT 05049.

For more information on cohousing at Cobb Hill you can send me e-mail and I will
forward a more detailed version of the information above.

Cohousing community timeline:

o       Fall 1998 -- Site design, hydrology, well-drilling, engineering design.

o       Winter 1998-99 -- Act 250 (Vermont's land use law) permitting, water
supply
permitting, sewage discharge permitting.

o       Winter 1998-99 -- Detailed design for common house and individual
homes.
Secure construction loan, select construction company.

o       Late Spring-Fall 1999 -- Construction. Set up mortgage fund. Finalize
legal
documents for homeowners association.  Finalize land easements.

o       Late 1999/Early 2000 -- LLC sells property to homeowners association.
MOVE
IN!!

Phil Bush

philip.w.bush [at] dartmouth.edu

Cobb Hill in Hartland Four Corners, VT, where we'll be drilling for water within
days.