Re: Common House Bang for Buck
From: Peter Scott (psak.planet.gen.nz)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:58:34 -0600
re:

> ... I'm wondering whether anyone's done any study on the financial impact of a
> common house.  Often it's presented as an inexpensive way to have an evening
> meal....
>
> ... Any accountants out there who have worked out cost/benefit stuff for
> common house features?

IMO the classic problems with Cost Benefit Analysis would apply here:  ie: many
positive externalities,  many difficult to measure qualitative benefits, many
long term beneifits basically negated by high discount rates etc.

> Has anyone considered or done a cohousing/commercial partnership with a
> restaurant?...

I do agree the space needs to be well utelised. Has anyone come to arrangements
with residents to lease common spaces during day / quiet periods? Some kind of
small catering / cottage industries comes to mind. Would planning restrictions
be related to landuse generally (in which case they are lightening up a bit
generally, with the onset of 'mixed use compact cities' ), or more to do with
fire / safety / access etc?

--
Peter Scott
Waitakere Eco-Neighbourhood Cohousing Project