assessments
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:24:09 -0600
$246 a MONTH??   Wow. Unless that included property tax, I'd consider
that quite high-end. At RoseWind, our common assessment, with 20
households, for the past several years has been $200-400 per YEAR.
Granted, we don't yet have maintenance, insurance,  and utilities on a
common house to pay, but that can't come to all that much, for a space
which is not heated 24/7.

Now, if that includes property tax, it's not that far off from ours,
where individual homes are assessed by the local government for property
tax, depending on the estimated market value of the home. My home is
estimated at $185,000, and my taxes are around $2200 a year. We also pay
our home utilities individually (water, sewer, power, garbage).
The commons is not separately taxed, but is included as an amenity
related to our individual property valuation by the government.

If you go through the archives of cohousing L, you'll find some other
groups' figures. The range is wide.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where our last few lots are available (buy-in running around $28,000--
then you build to your own design and budget)