Re: Condominium Fees
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:33:23 -0600
Condo fees at Doyle Street range from about $170 to $230 per month. At Old
Oakland they will be considerably higher.  We have to have bigger reserves
(reserves are required by law here) for big future expensive stuff like
replacing roofs.We have to pay earthquake insurance here in N. California,
and liability insurance of course. Utilities for the common areas are
substantial even if you don't need any or much heat. . Most communities
have to hire stuff out even if everyone in the community is handy and has
the time to do repairs and maintenance of the property (like when the sewer
line gets blocked). Then there's fire, water or wind damage to any common
property (buildings or land) that's not covered by insurance. Washing
machines and dryers and water heaters and furnaces break (we just replaced
our common house refrigerator), you finally decide to get matching tables
and chairs.  It really adds up.

Then there are the potentially costly items unique to your community   For
example, some roofing materials of the historic building we are turning
into our community have been removed to provide us with sunshine and open
space between our two rows of units. Those metal trusses which will fly
over our walkway have been protected from the elements for 80 years. Now
they have to be sealed to protect them from sun, rain, airborne dirt, and
pigeon poop. That will have to be redone every X years and will cost
several thousand dollars each time. I'm sure you get the picture.

Joani Blank
Doyle Street CoHousing (currently) and Old Oakland CoHousing / Swan's
Market (future)