About Scary Warnings and Hoaxes
From: Fifomonday (Fifomondayaol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:13:53 -0600
While I understand Liz Stevenson's request (11/12/98) that nobody send any
warnings of viruses etc., to this list, I will offer a technical input which
nobody has disputed (to me at least).  It may allow some to feel more
comfortable about their email.

One cannot send anything dangerous, like a virus, in the message space of an
email.
The message space transmits only a limited character set - i.e. the alphabet
and some formatting characters.  Viruses need "characters" an emailer just
cannot transmit within the message space.

"Attached" files are a different kettle of fish.  Attachments may contain
anything: spreadsheets, graphics, computer programs and viruses (a virus being
just a small mischievous or malicious program).

So: Read the messages any time you like.   If it has an "attachment" about
which you are suspicious or nervous, do not download the attachment.
Downloading of appropriately designed viruses can indeed cause damage.

(If there is another computer nerd out there who disputes my assertions above,
let's correspond (privately) to convince me that I am wrong. I don't think I
am.)

michael barrett
email:   fifomonday [at] aol.com

Webmaster at www.libertyvillage.com
and future resident at Liberty Village in Maryland where the stormwater
management ponds are done and much of the grading is complete, and water and
sewer are next to go in.  We only have 16 out of 38 lots left, that's 2 less
than a month ago.
Visit us at www.libertyvillage.com