Re: Native Plants
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:28:48 -0600
>I would like to know if any cohousing communities have required the use
>of native plants when landscaping the shared open-spaces and/or front
>and backyards.
>Thanks
>Jason
You don't say what king of layout you have, so it's hard to give specific
advice, but I always try! ;)

We had a landscape plan for the front of the houses that had to be
implemented before we could move in.  We weren't allowed to "sell" the
units(to ourselves!) without it.  Since then, only the common areas are
landscaped by committee. But since we really did most of it before
move-in, there aren't many decisions to be made.  However, the few
decisions we have had have been very divisive.  I would not in any way
recommend that you try to control what people do in their
private/semi-private space.  We haven't had any trouble with most of what
people have decided to do, and people MUST have "ownership" in order to
take care of something properly.  If it is imposed from above, all the
plants will die anyway. Requiring native plants sounds like a fight
waiting to happen, but if everyone is in agreement, you can accomplish
anything you like.  Myself, I'd resent being told what to plant in my
backyard.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA