Re: affordable housing
From: Franklin Wayne Poley (fwpoleyvcn.bc.ca)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:03:30 -0600
Paul: Can you give us a web site or email address for these "Non-Profit
NGO's" which build housing in the UK? Are they like Habitat for Humanity
(which is the Number 2 builder of new homes in North America)? Maybe we
can compare notes with them.
Sincerely-FWP.

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Paul Milne wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Scott Cowley wrote:
> > We have 5 out of 26 of our homes on a lease-to-own program using federal
> > government tax
> > credits administered by a state agency.  For info contact Steve Graham at
> > the Utah Housing Finance
> > Agency, 554 S. 300 East, SLC, UT 84111
>
> I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your email.
>
> The way we're funding our low-cost units is essentially the same. Grant money
> comes from central government via a regional housing authority (Scottish
> Homes) which helps identifies projects in consultation with local authorities
> (eg. Midlothian District Council, Edinburgh District Council, etc.) and
> then channels money to the local authorities which gives the money to
> projects, usually via Housing Associations, which are autonomas
> non-governmental
> organisations that build low-cost housing.
>
> We will be working with one particular Housing Association which will act as
> the developer for the whole project, and which will sell us the full-cost
> houses,and partially subsidises houses (I think) and the common land, and act
> as landlord for the rental units. Or else they might sell us all the
> houses with the Cohousing organisation owning the rental units.
>
> We haven't worked out the exact strategy yet, as this is all new over here,
> and the involvement of government grants and housing associations to
> enable low-cost housing complicates matters.
>
> The important thing is that we will be working with the Housing Association
> as any cohousing group would work with its developer, i.e. designing site
> and buildings, and managing the site after moving in.
>
> We will probably have a similar number of grant-assisted to full cost houses
> as yourselves, maybe slightly higher.
>
> --
> Paul Milne
> EDINA
> Edinburgh University Data Library

*** British Columbia-the world's first direct electronic democracy under
development http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/BCPolitics;
http://users.uniserve.com/~culturex ***