Re: Anyone use Habitat for Humanity?
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 01:23:33 -0600

>There may also be some hard-to-admit barely-conscious concerns that with
>subsidized housing one might end up with ---
I know that Habitat screens their clients very carefully, and I think
that their principles of sweat equity for the families involved dovetails
nicely with the cohousing DIY work ethic.  These are hardworking people
who are going to have construction skills!  Grab 'em if you can get 'em.
This would be a golden opportunity to break the class barrier in
cohousing, and maybe to open a few eyes as well.  As for the religious
aspect, I don't think these are real Bible-thumpers.  They are the sort
of people who give up their spare time to build houses for poor working
people.
Hey, some of my best friends are Christians!  ;)  It doesn't mean they're
trying to convert me all the time.  I say, if the Habitat people are
interested, it's a chance you shouldn't pass up.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA