Re: Native Plants
From: Claire Elliott (claire-dougmindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:33:32 -0600
Other reasons (besides water conservation) to plant natives is to
provide habitat for native insects (butterflies, bees, etc.), birds and
other animals.  Also, there are a number of ornamentals that escape the
boundaries of our yards and displace natives in sensitive habitats (for
example german ivy growing rampant along creeksides).

A great reason to not require natives is that no one would be able to
plant carrots!
Claire Elliott