Thanksgiving Celebrations
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:50:58 -0600
Happy turkey (or tofurkey) day to all,

Just celebrated our 7th T'giving at Doyle Street Cohousing.  We have been
doing our community thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday BEFORE T'giving to
accommodate those who plan their own family stuff or to be out of town on
the actual day.  I missed it this year because I was still on the east
coast finishing up with the East Coast Cohousing Conference, but I'm told
it was the best ever!  People sign up to bring various courses, or to be in
charge of decorations or set up. This year those who bought the turkeys and
flowers for decoration will be reimbursed (cost shared by all those who
ate); other dishes are contributed. Guests (priority goes to
alumni/ae--people who used to live here but don't anymore) are not asked to
pay anything but are asked to bring a bottle of wine as well as a dish to
share.

This year, for the first time we paid a couple of people (not community
members) to come in to do the cleanup.  Everyone who attended agrees that
this was a major contributor to this year's celebration being the best on
record for us. Starting next year, however, we will probably try doing big
dinner on the Saturday before T'giving instead of Sunday.  It is a little
much to go back to school or work the next day after such a big meal and
party without a day to recuperate.

Joani