RE: Anyone use Habitat for Humanity?
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:59:45 -0600
>It could be instructive to examine Common Ground Cohousing in Aspen to see
>what an entire project built for affordable housing might end up like. It's
>a nice condo, and a nice place to live affordabily in Aspen, the highest
>price real estate in the west. From the stories I have heard, I am not sure
>it works very well as a community. The primary motivation was for the
>affordable housing, and it seems, after a couple of years, the community
>part sort of didn't work out very well.
With respect, Rob, I don't think there is a comparison here at all.
Common ground  was placed in an area where people were desperate for
housing, and signed on without ever actually building community.  I
hardly think RoseWind is in the same category.  They are just talking
about making *some* units affordable.  I don't think that people who work
to build their own house are going to be going off skiing instead of
attending the general meetings.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA