Re: affordable housing, process committees
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:55:52 -0600
> Because the assistance
>will still be short of the down payment, I was thinking about the possibility
>of the group offering some financial help. I was wondering if any groups had
>set up some help for lower income families?   Revolving loan funds?
We had small loans some of us got from the HOA when we couldn't finish
our decks in time for move in and hired out a contractor.  The interest
on our loans was market rate, since we were paying back money that
otherwise would have been invested.  We looked into doing this on a
larger scale, but found that that would have taken us out of a non-profit
category.  Alternatively, one might consider setting up a separate fund,
one that some with extra cash could invest in, and others might borrow
from.  It would be taxed.  We found it more of a hassle than we wanted.
Another thing you can do(if you trust each other alot) is make personal
loans to each other.  Two people did that here, and as far as I know, it
worked out fine.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA