Re: Large CoHousing (was affordable housing)
From: Mark Dempsey (mxd2osi.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:36:27 -0600
As Carla rightly points out, CoHousing on a very large scale is
laughable.  It's not CoHousing at all.  It's called a "City." Or at
least a town or village.

Nevertheless, laughable as it may be as CoHousing, the sustainable
village slated for Vancouver is a thing of beauty, much to be desired.
I've written this list previously to say that CoHousing is a subset (and
a pretty tiny one at that) of something called "New Urbanism" (or
Traditional Neighborhood Development, or neo-traditionalism).  If you
understand the design principals of New Urbanism, your development will
be better CoHousing.

It also pays those of you in cohousing to support New Urbanism in
surrounding development. I know there are many of you who want to really
have an impact, make a difference, etc.  For this, New Urbanism is the
genuine article.  It would save outlying land, reduce pollution, make
our population generally healthier and more cultured, and prevent those
nasty overseas adventures we're forced into because we're so
petroleum-dependent.  It costs no more than conventional development,
and is so desirable buyers pay a premium for it (much like CoHousing).

For more, see my website starting at:

 http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/1059/townplanning.html

--
Regards,