Re: Lot development, coho financing
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:20:42 -0600
> The main drawbacks of a "pure" lot development model--by
>which I mean that lots are sold individually, and each household then
>chooses its own home design and builder, include:
>        * Mish mash of building styles
>        * No shared goals or priorities for the homes
>        * Potentially long build out time before the neighborhood is
>"complete"
>        * Expensive end costs for each household, since each home is
>probably one of a kind

You forgot to mention other costs,  both to the community and
externalized.  The lot development model usually results in a spread out
design, at least more so than houses that share walls.  This is a waste
of land, and IMO, when the community is spread out, it feels like less of
a community.  I know there are people who will take offense at that, but
that's what I have seen.  I myself hated the floor plan of my house, but
wanted to be in cohousing and was willing to give up on my "dream home".
In retrospect,  I think there is much to be gained from everyone having
the same developer, regardless of money.  I think it adds to the feeling
of community to have a similar house to everyone else.  We have all
different incomes here, and there is no sense that it matters.  I really
think it's the design of the community that fosters that.  There is also
alot to be said for everybody moving in at or near the same time.  There
seems to be an outsider-insider thing happening with lot development.

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA