Re: Christmas Trees in the Common House
From: Stevenson/Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 13:07:14 -0600
I just had a great idea-I can do an advice column for cohousing!

Just kidding.

For the holidays, we usually have a "celebrate everything" attitude.
Mostly, it depends on what people are willing to organize!  We usually
have a tree, Hanukkah decorations and a Kwanzaa celebration that involves
a ball of yarn being tossed around a circle to create a web-Kwanzaa is a
great way to celebrate community and it fits right in.  We have a couple
who always cook together on the same team who always make latkes for
hanukkah-yum!  A new family brought us another tradition- a posada that
we do on Christmas eve- and I think our one Hispanic member, who was
never much of a participant in the community, really felt included for
the first time.  That is speculation on my part, but she does seem to
have become more outgoing in the last year.  We've done solstice
celebrations as well, but I haven't attended one of those recently, and
can't remember if we've done that recently.  Last year we had a
karioke(sp?) thing, where I sang "I'll be home for Christmas" to the
surprise of everybody, and showed off my voice, and lots of people sang
and did crazy stuff.  The kids like the singing, dancing and Posada the
best.  One member has a birthday/Chrismas party every year, which was
last night.  I didn't go because I'm a little under the weather, but it's
usually good fun.

We really do cover all bases, and it honestly doesn't end up being too
much hype.  If you think about how these traditions got started, it's
because we need to lift our spirits in the dark days of winter and share
companionship when we all tend to stay in our houses by ourselves.
Cohousing is the perfect place to celebrate any and all holidays you can
think of.

We are fortunate to have quite a diversity of traditions to celbrate
here, and I only remeber one meeting in the beginning when we discussed
the problem of what to do about the holidays.  Some people wanted to put
up Christmas stuff and others were offended-until we decided to do it
all.  Not much uproar about that decision.

Our group is much larger than yours, Joani, and I think a gift exchange
has never come up because it's just another thing to organize for alot of
people.  But it sounds like fun, and I have been involved in one of those
where you get to "steal" the other people's presents, and they're a
blast.  Quite a fun, ironic, turnaround on the "giving spirit" of the
holidays!

I think it would be fun for all you guys in the Bay Area to go caroling
at each others' commonhouses!

Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing
Sacramento, CA